Pirates trade hockey helmets for chef hats | News
SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - Portland Pirates hockey players are hanging up their skates and getting out their cooking pans for a four-hour college course on healthy cooking.
More than a dozen players from the American Hockey League team are taking the course Tuesday at Southern Maine Community College in South Portland, where they'll learn the basics from shopping for ingredients to cooking a meal.
They'll be teamed with SMCC culinary arts students during the meal preparation part of the course.
The goal is to improve the nutritional intake of the Pirates players while giving the younger players experience in cooking for themselves.
Upcoming Events near South Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Green Outdoors: Secretary of State Kerry's dog trained in Maine
- Local group rallies to save Windjammer Days
- Midcoast residents demand impact study for proposed harbor dredging in Searsport
- Elinor Klivans' Peanut Butter Cookies Stuffed with Chocolate and Peanut Butter
- Knox County Airport makes changes after last years crash