Missing kayaker found unresponsive in Saco Bay | News
SCARBOROUGH, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - A man who was kayaking in the ocean off Scarborough Marsh has died.
The Coast Guard was called to help search for a 51 year old man at 3:42 PM Saturday.
In addition to aircraft, they also had several boats in the water off South Portland and Scarborough.
The kayaker had planned to paddle from Scarborough Marsh out to the Bluff Islands and back.
Shortly after 6:00 PM, his kayak was found empty and around 7:00 PM his body was found unresponsive a little over half a mile off Higgins Beach.
He was taken by boat to Pine Point and then transferred to an ambulance.
Attempts to resuscitate the man were unsuccessful.
Coast Guard officials say the man was wearing a life preserver and wet suit.
Upcoming Events near South Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Green Outdoors: Secretary of State Kerry's dog trained in Maine
- Local group rallies to save Windjammer Days
- Midcoast residents demand impact study for proposed harbor dredging in Searsport
- Elinor Klivans' Peanut Butter Cookies Stuffed with Chocolate and Peanut Butter
- Knox County Airport makes changes after last years crash