Two men arrested after a standoff in South Portland | News
SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - Two men were arrested following a brief standoff in South Portland Sunday afternoon.
Police were called to the corner of Broadway and Kelsey Street shortly before 2:30.
The caller reported a burglary in progress at an apartment there-- And said the suspect lived in the next apartment over.
By the time police arrived, he was back in his own apartment and refused to answer the door.
The people living in the burglarized apartment reported that they were missing some prescription drugs.
Police requested a search warrant, then carried it out, forcing their way into the apartment when no one answered.
They say they found two men hiding in a crawl space.
The man who lives there, Rourke Sparks, is facing a charge of burglary.
Another man, Derrick Splude, will be charged for refusing to submit to arrest and receiving the stolen drugs.
No one was injured and the whole ordeal lasted about three hours.
Upcoming Events near South Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Green Outdoors: Secretary of State Kerry's dog trained in Maine
- Local group rallies to save Windjammer Days
- Midcoast residents demand impact study for proposed harbor dredging in Searsport
- Elinor Klivans' Peanut Butter Cookies Stuffed with Chocolate and Peanut Butter
- Knox County Airport makes changes after last years crash