U.S. Coast Guard Boat/Paddle Safety Event & Open House - SATURDAY JUNE 9th - 10am to 3pm | Events
What: U.S. Coast Guard’s BoatSmart 2012.
• Free boating and paddle safety Open House to learn about potentially LIFE SAVING safety equipment, emergency gear, survival/self help techniques, distress communications & trip planning tips. Additional info in attached.
Where: Coast Guard Sector Northern New England - 259 High Street, South Portland, ME
When: This Saturday, June 9th, from 10am to 3pm
Details: Free and open to the public. Media invited to attend; interview opportunities.
• Coast Guard Auxiliary Vessel Safety Checks (public may bring boats for courtesy safety checks)
• Info booths staffed by boat/paddle sports specialists
• On-water paddle craft safety demonstrations
• Flare shoot (public may bring flares to shoot)
• Cold water and BUI safety seminars
• Coast Guard Cutter and rescue boats available for tours
• Free waterproof “If Found” stickers available for paddle craft owners – Identification on paddle craft help USCG track down owners when craft are reported adrift and unoccupied – saves costly/lengthy searches and may help confirm that someone was in fact out on it and now missing. Approximately 100 kayak/canoe ‘unmanned/adrift’ cases occur annually along Maine and New Hampshire coasts!