Shalom House Art Program | Arts & Culture
Shalom is a Hebrew word that means peace. It is also the name of an organization in Portland, Maine that has brought peace of mind to thousands of people affected by mental illness. Shalom House.
A man had watched his brother struggle with mental illness and move from one family member's home to another and then to mental hospitals and finally to shelters. His dream was to create a safe, caring place that would allow individuals like his brother to live within the community. That dream became a reality when Shalom House opened on High Street in 1972. Read more
Upcoming Events near South Portland
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Belfast man reaches plea deal for murder charge
- We asked...you didn't disappoint! Have you tackled any Pinterest inspired projects lately?
- C&L Aerospace officially opens in Bangor
- Remembering Bangor police chief Don Winslow
- Combat Wounded Veteran works to help veterans and their families with reintegration.