SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Several people were displaced from their home after a fire broke out Saturday night at an apartment on Hill Street.
Vanessa Johnston lives on the second floor of that apartment.
"See where the bedroom is right there. Where the firefighters are, right there," said Johnston. "That's my room right there."
As she watched firefighters continue to work, minutes after the fire burned almost all her belongings, Johnston clutched her cat.
The cat she is caretaking for friend, was rescued by firefighters.
His name is Smokey.
"I was crying. I thought I lost him."
Around 10 o'clock, Johnston says, she was home from work and before long, smelled smoke.
"My smoke alarm went off and at first I thought someone broke in because I heard glass but it was actually a fire and I panicked."